The nostalgic chicken casserole has been revamped with this easy and simple recipe
4 chicken marylands
2 tablespoons honey (optional)
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 lemons, quartered
1 garlic bulb, halved across the cloves
4 shallots, peeled and halved
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3 rosemary sprigs, torn into pieces
Chopped herbs (such as rosemary, thyme, flat-leaf parsley), to serve
1. Set up the BBQ for indirect cooking and preheat to 190°C.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the fat, honey (if using), paprika, onion powder, Italian seasoning, chilli flakes and salt and pepper
3. Place the chicken in a roasting tin and spread out the pieces so they cook evenly.
4. Pour the oil mixture over the chicken, turning to coat on all sides. Arrange the lemon, garlic and shallot around and under the chicken and sprinkle on the herbs.
5. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and roast for 25–30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through, the skin is crispy and the juices run clear when pierced with the tip of a knife.
6. Garnish with the chopped herbs and serve with roasted vegetables. Squeeze over the roasted lemon wedges at the table.